Sunday, September 03, 2006

Unity in diversity

Brodie wrote last week: "Indeed when I think of God being big or powerful it leaves me cold, but here [in a God of poverty and weakness], here is a God before whom I have no response but to fall on my knees and worship."

Personally, I've always loved astronomy and gazing at the stars, finding the constellations and the planets. The more I learn of science and cosmology (and I know very little) the more I'm filled with awe and wonder at God who created the heavens and the earth and yet loves me. I love Psalm 8 :
"When I consider your heavens,
the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars,
which you have set in place,
what is man that you are mindful of him,
the son of man that you care for him?"
Yes, considering this "I have no response but to fall on my knees and worship."
Personally, I find these different worship experiences things to be celebrated not anathemetised. This diversity should be embraced, not rejected. There can still be unity in diversity. We worship the same God and Saviour. That's good enough for HIM - it should be good enough for us too.